How to write a goddamn helper app

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Overqualified, May 4, 2017.

1. Overqualified

Overqualified Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    I adapted it from a part of a joke I heard in the past.

If you loved it press the like button and don't forget to subscribe! =]

2. SS_Explosion

SS_Explosion Active Member

Ratings:
    And please, for jesus' sake don't be this guy

Proofread
    Whether english isn't your first language, you're typing your app on a mobile device or your IQ is in the negative range, it can't be that hard to copy and paste your application into a proofreading software. If you can't be bothered to check your application no one's going to be bothered to read it either.

Now lets look at the questions

What is your Minecraft username?
    Simple enough

What gamemode do you most frequently play on?
    Simple enough

How many hours would you able to contribute to the position per day?
    Simple enough

What strengths do you see in yourself that you could use to be a better Yay Mc helper?
    The YayMC helper application form is very short compared to that of other servers. This is seriously the only part that really tests what type of staff you will be, since the other 3 long questions are based on your past. I seriously recommend capitalizing on this question, it can make or break your app.

Describe your favorite Yay Mc memory.
    Just be honest with this one. Do not use this to suck up to staff. Writing "my favourite memory was when I raided (faction) with my friends ... and had fun... etc etc" is much better than "I had a short conversation with (insert admin) the other day and I learnt how hard it was to be staff. I've decided that if i become staff..."

Seriously, I was a server owner in the past and trust me, staff recruiters will somehow have the instincts to tell the difference between a staff-hunter/tryhard and a legit helpful player

Describe one time you made a mistake. How did you deal with it? What did you learn?
    As aforementioned the form is short, so make good use of every single question in it. People waste this question all the time. Never write "I did not learn anything from it".

I recommend two ways of using this question to your advantage, depending on your preference/circumstance.

First, you could use this question in an attempt to atone for your past mistakes on Yay.

Second, you could use this question to show off another good value/strength you have that can help the staff team, for example saying that you're more careful about what you do after you've accidentally broken your mom's vase.

Do you have any previous server moderation or server leadership experience?
    Never write "I was owner, co-owner, head admin, admin, mod and helper on multiple server"

Never.

Make sure you sort your past jobs out by listing the name of the server, the title you held, what you've learnt from staffing there and proof if you have it. Server by server.

And don't be that dumbass who writes the ip of a contemporary server.

Would you like us to know anything else about you?
    If there's nothing good, don't write. As the saying goes, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." If you really want something here, put a background of yourself. This is already the final part of your application, don't try to suck staff dick and let the recruiter think you're a staff-hunter.

Most importantly though, you've got to be a good applicant. If you're the type that would get jumped in real life by saying the stuff you say online, you might want to reconsider applying.

#makethebleedingstop[/QUOTE]
    I am weak af, the funny thing is that everyone makes these mistakes as well ;-;

3. Overqualified

Ratings:
    You messed up the quote, good sir

4. SS_Explosion

SS_Explosion Active Member

Ratings:
    Woops Meh bad

5. Overqualified

Ratings:
    Turns out there was inconsistency between the question in the application form and the question on the information thread.
    This is the actual question:

What game(s) do you actively play on?
    While this question looks simple (it is a multiple choice question for god's sake), I've recently seen people tick 4, 5 or even all of the options. 99% of the time it's bullshit. You can't play actively on 6 servers. Please only check 1-2 servers you play most on, or 3 if you're really active.

6. 3DRAGON3

3DRAGON3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    Unless you're retired and play Minecraft from 7AM til midnight

Which is actually something to discuss though, cuz I see so many applicants put like 8+ hours of availability down, which really makes no sense. If you live on Earth and are over 3 years old, you either go to school or have a job. And unless you're dumb and don't sleep, there really isn't a 8+ hour time window in your life.

And if you DO somehow have legitimate time for 8+ hours of Minecraft, you probably don't have much of a social life outside of your Skype, discord, ect.

OK that was my little rant. I probably won't make a more detailed thread on this but you could put something on yours about it, IDK. I think it's important that people be realistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Voyzon

Voyzon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 20/10 would write good helper app but I cant goddamn detail for shit.

Would also smash

8. Maxxy

Maxxy Active Member

Ratings:
    And get demoted again

9. Voyzon

Voyzon Active Member

Ratings:
    Yeah I'd get demoted again

10. 666j666

666j666 Member

Ratings:
    five strikes and you're still swinging, am I right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Voyzon

Voyzon Active Member

Ratings:
    yeet yeet

• Like Like x 1
  12. ViiSnolly

ViiSnolly Member

Ratings:
    AHA this is fucking amazing, i will for sure be using this to rewrite my app., i died at the part about the skirt

13. Kingonfire3

Kingonfire3 Member

Ratings:
    Good job @Overqualified this will help the community understand how to properly format there application xD
    -King

14. Owies

Owies Helper
    Staff Member Helper

Ratings:
    dont make your app too strong in language, dont make it like this I swear....
    "“indubitability, my maturity plateau is beyond the uprising population, to note, subsequently post-pubescent trans-shifted me in the valley forthwith procure”"

15. RipJawz

RipJawz Member

Ratings:
    I swear that shit gets on my nerves. People be using thesaurus.com for every single word they type. This isn't a college essay, it's a minecraft server staff application...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RadCrashMC

RadCrashMC Helper
    Staff Member Helper

Ratings:
    ;)

17. Hijackinq

Hijackinq Member

Ratings:
    How to post boost 101, ladies and gentlemen.

18. RadCrashMC

RadCrashMC Helper
    Staff Member Helper

Ratings:
    nonono ;/ hint hint nudge nudge.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hijackinq

Hijackinq Member

Ratings:
    Wink wink ;)

20. Lledroc

Lledroc New Member

Ratings:
    This is an amazing helper app guideline, i think this should be used for the main guideline on the application page, Hope your eyes get better!